According To a research, Human Brain Process Images More faster Than anything else. Now a Days, Online Marketers take benefit of this data to make great visually appealing content, such as Images, infographic, PPT and many more.
Are you include the visual graphic in Your Content?
Adding Visual appealing graphic isn’t enough, Google Also Changes there an algorithm to crawl image content better.
So, Image SEO is the Going to Be Great Trend In Future. I recommend You To Adapt This Trend in present to own your Market.
Why is Image SEO Important?
Images is a Great Way To Serve Important data that can’t serve as Text. Such a make a tutorial article or Presenting Graphs or Charts. You can’t Present Such data in Text. But Google Can’t Crawl That Data present in images. SO, How we Optimize That Images data for SEO.
According To Backlinko, using at least one image in your content is significantly better than having no image at all.
There Are Many Ways To Optimize and Image for SEO such as Using Structured data/ Schema Markup for Image, Proper Image aspect ratio to appear as a thumbnail in the search result, Using of Alt Text and many more.
In This Guide, we’re going to discuss all aspect of Image Optimization. From A to Z.
Optimizing Image Size for SEO
For On-page SEO, Image Size Doesn’t matter that Much. Because it will appear Only To Your Audience Not Google. If Your Image is highly Engaging than the size of Image isn’t matter.
When It came To SERP, Images Size matters a Lot because google can’t index all size images in there search result. And as We all know How a great Google Snippet Will Increase Your CTR, as a result, your ranking increase.
Here an easy explanation of this: Google will resize Your Image to appear in search result. If You Are Image With Aspect ratio with Too much difference. Then your image isn’t going to appear in search snippet.
In New Google Update, Mostly Image Won’t Appear On desktop but when You switch to mobile. You’ll saw a great difference between search results.
What is Best image size to appear SERP snippet?
I found a Great Answer to this question on Google Developer, There Are mainly Two Types of pages Which show Image in search snippet, AMP, and Non-Apm.
For AMP pages Image Size is Most Important Thing. Here Some Tips to Optimize Images for AMP Pages:
- Image atleast 1200Px Wide
- Images must be in .jpg, .png, or. gif format.
- For best results, provide multiple high-resolution images (minimum of 800,000 pixels when multiplying width and height) with the following aspect ratios: 16×9, 4×3, and 1×1.
- Image Must be Properly Markuped
- Image URL Must be crawlable and indexable (Not Blocked By Your Robots.txt or Header tag)
Some Best practice to optimize Images for Non-AMP pages:
- Every page must contain at least one image (whether or not you include markup). Google will pick the best image to display in Search results based on the aspect ratio and resolution.
- For best results, provide multiple high-resolution images (minimum of 300,000 pixels when multiplying width and height) with the following aspect ratios: 16×9, 4×3, and 1×1.
- Image URL Must be crawlable and indexable
I’ll Hope You Understand Why Image Size is important for SEO.
Optimize Image for ALT Text
All Bloggers Tell You To Add a Alt text in Your Image, But Most of them Didn’t Tell You Why or give some reason like “it will increase your SEO”.
But the real Reason Behind ATL text is To Optimize Image for image.google.com. Google Can’t Index all Image on There Image SERP. That’s Why They Use ALT text to find relative images for search.
Here an Image Showing How Google See your Images:
Why Alt Text Important?
- It provides Google with useful information about the subject matter of the image. We use this information to help determine the best image to return for a user’s query.
- Many people-for example, users with visual impairments, or people using screen readers or who have low-bandwidth connections—may not be able to see images on web pages. Descriptive alt text provides these users with important information.
Here’s How a Good Alt text looks Like:
Not so good: <img src="puppy.jpg" alt=""/> Better: <img src="puppy.jpg" alt="puppy"/> Best: <img src="puppy.jpg" alt="Dalmatian puppy playing fetch"> To be avoided <img src="puppy.jpg" alt="puppy dog baby dog pup pups puppies doggies pups litter puppies dog retriever labrador wolfhound setter pointer puppy jack russell terrier puppies dog food cheap dogfood puppy food"/>
Things To Avoid During Adding Alt text:
- Using same alt text for All Images (Filling alt attributes with keywords (“keyword stuffing”) results in a negative user experience, and may cause your site to be perceived as spam)
- Using Too Long or One Keyword Alt Text
- Not useful Alt Text (Not Defining Your Image’s Content)
For Great User Experience, Check Your website in Only text Browser Like Lynx
Optimizing Image Filename For SEO
Filename Tells Google, What Your Image is about. Try To Make a Filename Which is defining Your Images Content and must be relevant to your image.
For Example, White_car_on_road.png is way better that 110001car.png because it defines us what is that image about.
Google Also Consider File name to rank an image for a specific keyword. Also Filename act as URL address of that image.
Here’s an Image showing how your image filename is acted as a URL:
Here some Best Practice for Filename:
white car on road.png(“20%” replace your space between words when you upload it to the website)
Optimizing Images for Speed
Google officially Confirmed That Website speed is one of the most Important Ranking factor.
Also Read: Optimize Blogspot for SEO
When it came to website speed, Compressing Image is One of the Most important tasks.
Use Tool Like Tinypng or compresspng to Compress Images before uploading to the website.Only Doing This will decrease Your website loading time dramatically.
There Is Some Other Method To Optimize Images. Like Using Different Types of filetypes. for example Jpeg is less in size than PNG.
How To Choose Best File Type?
Here an image from google developer, answering the question.
Future Trend for image Type
One File Format, which is going to own market in future is SVG
Here some Quick Fact about SVG file format:
- SVG is an XML-based image format
- SVG files should be minified to reduce their size
- SVG files should be compressed with GZIP
Optimizing Images for Google Snippet
As we discussed above, Choosing Write Image Size will help your images to appear in Google Search Snippet. But You Can’t Take to Further to next level by adding markup to your image.
To Add This Type of Search Snippet Add below Code in Your </head>
<link href='https://plus.google.com/116613803754922085425/' rel='author'/>
Change google plus profile link with yours.
2.)There Are Some other Code which help google to understand your Images Better, such as:
<meta content='YOUR_IMAGE_URL' name='thumbnail'/>
Above Code Also help You to add image in your search snippet.
Tips To Optimize Images
Here Some Great Tips To Optimize Your Images furthur:
- Add Water mark In Your Images To Protect Your Images, You can Also use creativecommons to protect Your Images
- Use Only High Resolution Images To Improve Your User experience. Crisp, sharp images will also appear better in the thumbnail versions we display in our search results, and may therefore be more likely to be clicked on by users.
- Specify a width and height for all images. A web browser can begin to render a page even before images are downloaded, provided that it knows the dimensions to wrap non-replaceable elements around. Specifying these dimensions can speed up page loading and improve the user experience
- Add Caption To each Image Defining Image Content in brief and detail
- Remove Images With Broken Link
Here a Quick Checklist for You:
Images and Visual graphics are a great way to improve user engagement and Conversion. Using Images Properly Will increase Your user experience as well as traffic. Make Sure your all article have at least One Image for Your Users.
I’ll Hope this Guide will Help You To Optimize Your Images. Any Question? Comment below we’ll answer it soon.